1. Was in 1820
2. Was an attempt to end tensions about whether slavery should be legal or not.
3. Established Missouri as a slave state and Maine as a free state.
4. Banned rest of Northern Louisiana Purchase territory from slavery.
5. It maintained balance between free and slave states
2. Caused by tariff acts imposed by the federal government
3. They nullified the tariffs in the South declaring them unconstitutional
4. The tariffs were bad for the economy in the South.
5. Almost led to a civil war
1. Invented in 1790s
2. Used to harvest cotton
3. Eli Whitney
4. Doubled cotton production
5. Cotton became America's lead export.
1. Coined in 1845
2. Meant United States was supposed to spread Democracy and Capitalism across all of North America.
3. Drove territorial expansion
4. Used to justify moving the Native Americans
5. Intensified slavery because states were being added to the union
1. 18th century to Civil War
2. Group of people who offered escape and shelter to slaves in need of freedom
3. People used code words
4. They went north to Canada
5. Freed many slaves before the civil war
2. Result of Mexico and Texas clashing views
3. Texas Victory
4. Texas became independent from Mexico
5. Led to Mexican - American War
2. Deadliest one-day battle in American military history
3. Turning point in civil war
4. Union had significantly more soldiers than Confederates
5. Showed that the Union could fight Confederate army